People have been creating videos for the YouTube platform for several decades now, but it has only been in the last few years that this platform has turned out to be a bonafide career path for full-time video bloggers. YouTube’s most prolific vloggers are generating millions of dollars in income and individuals who only viewed vlogging as a hobby are now having a blast making YouTube videos.
While there are thousands of video blogs out there, they all share one thing; they need a good camera. Since this camera will capture video in a first-person and unique perspective, it is important to get your purchase right. These cameras are either held by hand or clipped on the article of clothing such as a helmet, belt, shirt, hat or harness. These gadgets range from the small, low-resolution cameras to full high-definition for professional videos.
Cameras For Making YouTube Videos: What Attributes Should You Look For?
Knowing what attributes to consider allows you to select the camera that best suits your needs. Here is a breakdown of some of the attributes. Moreover, most of these cameras come with a couple of different functions and features that are suitable for different types of users. With high definition, mounts for attaching onto bikes and helmets, and small clips for attaching to a pair of jeans or shirt, there are cameras for making YouTube videos to fill very diverse photography needs.
1. Video Quality – Video recording is quite an essential aspect to consider even when you just want to purchase a life camera. Some cameras do not have the ability to record video, but instead, they capture still photos wherever you are. Some other cameras come with full high-definition recording at 1080p, which is excellent for generating high-resolution videos for your YouTube video channel or other types of video production.
2. Camera Size – With most cameras for making YouTube videos being wearable and small, they vary greatly in weight and size. From a more general perspective, the higher the video quality, the larger and heavier you expect the camera to be. For instance, some cameras easily clip onto a belt loop or your collar whereas others are meant for attaching onto a helmet or halter.
3. Photo Quality – Not all cameras take still photos, and some are only meant to take photos. The picture quality often varies from 4MP up to 15MP, so depending on the camera you select, you will easily print photos of all the images you capture. Some cameras also have the option to offer quality still photos from your video screenshots, which is an excellent option if you do not have time to stop and take a photo while making a YouTube video.
4. Storage Capacity – In most cases, a video recording camera will use microSD or SD cards for storage purposes. Depending on the camera model, they support any storage space from 4GB to 128GB, allowing you to collect different amounts of video data. This option makes for extra convenience because you can easily switch cards to have extra storage. Some cameras also include a small internal memory so that you can use them without a card.
List of the Best Cameras for Making YouTube Videos:
|1080p (60 FPS)||700 Shots||0.95 pounds||Check Price|
|1440p (30 FPS)||3.8 Volts||2.6 ounces||Check Price|
|Canon EOS Rebel T5||1080p (30 FPS)||500 Shots||1.06 pounds||Check Price|
|Contour+2||1080p (30 FPS)||3.885 Watt Hours||0.33 pounds||Check Price|
|ISAW Extreme||1080p (60 FPS)||90 min||6.7 ounces||Check Price|
|JVC ADIXXION GC-XA2||1080p (60 FPS)||100 min||0.93 pounds||Check Price|
|Sony Alpha a7RII||4K (120 FPS)||290 shots||1.38 pounds||Check Price|
|Canon PowerShot SX260||1080p (30FPS)||4.5 Watt Hours||15.5 ounces||Check Price|
1. Nikon D3300 – Great for beginners
To kick off this list of the best cameras for making YouTube Videos, we shall begin with the DSLR camera since they are the most popular options for video bloggers and span across different video types. Without necessarily breaking the bank, this camera offers excellent video quality and covers the musts for your YouTube videos. This camera comes equipped with a 24.2MP image sensor for photo snaps, an 18-55mm virtual reality image stabilization lens and an option for 1080 full high-definition videos, so the quality of your pictures shall not be compromised.
This camera is compatible with Wi-Fi if it is what you require, and concerning the photos, there are a few extra options such as Active D-lighting (suitable for darker environments) and an autofocus mechanism. This camera is also pretty light, and even if it will not fit in your pocket, it is easy to travel with.
2. The GoPro HERO – Best for action shots
If you have not heard of this camera, the chances are that you might have seen it on a person’s helmet in the rugged walking trails. This powerful little camera is designed for more than just simple adventure. It is small and rugged enough to go anywhere and has the capability to record 4K video. This camera also comes with an array of special features such as slow motion camera, ability to change frame width size and adjustable frames per second. This camera is best suited for video bloggers who are always on the go. If you’re a travel or adventure video blogger who wants to record videos without having to worry about busting your gear, the GoPro HERO is an excellent choice for you.
3. Canon EOS Rebel T5 – Simple and easy to use
The Canon’s “Rebel” line has turned out to be the entry point for many individuals who are looking to venture into DSLR photography and now with some seriously impressive video recording capabilities; it is becoming one of the go-to cameras for video bloggers as well. With excellent Wi-Fi capabilities, 19 cross-type autofocus points, a flip screen and the capability to record up to 1080p, the Canon EOS is a highly recommended starting point for some serious video blogging. Better yet, every individual from beauty to lifestyle video blogging loves this camera because it is a quality camera that comes at an affordable price.
4. Contour+2 – Great for an active lifestyle
The Contour+2 has a high-definition camera for shooting all your high-quality stills and videos, mobile connectivity for use with an application, a built-in GPS, and a waterproof case. Weighing 5.5 ounces and with dimensions of 2.36X3.86X1.34 inches, this camera is quite large and heavy to fit into most clothing. However, this camera works perfectly on some shoulder straps, helmets and various mounts of motorbikes and bicycles. Moreover, this high-quality life camera can shoot in 1080p at up to 120 frames per second, has a 270-degree rotation and also boasts of a 170-degree wide-angle lens to capture every detail of your subject in the recording. Interestingly, this camera also features an external microphone jack that allows you to plug in your own microphone for great narratives or volume.
5. ISAW Extreme – Cheap alternative to GoPro
The ISAW Extreme’s camera comes with a Sony Exmor CMOS sensor that makes it an excellent option to take high-quality photos and high-definition videos. This camera is also waterproof and has a robust exterior, making it excellent for adventure and sports filming. Although it’s not easy to mount onto a harness, this camera fits perfectly on shoulder straps, helmets, and other gear. This full high-definition video can record videos in three formats; WVGA format at 480p and at 240 FPS, 720p and at 120 FPS and 1080p at 60 FPS. The availability of these options means that you can decide the quality and frame rate of your videos depending on what you will be recording.
With built-in Wi-Fi, this camera also has the ability to stream the recorded videos using your smartphone. Better yet, the ISAW app is at your disposal for you to take remote photos, stream videos and control the settings on your camera.
6. JVC ADIXXION GC-XA2 – Best for tough conditions
This JVC camera perfectly combines a high-quality camera with a robust exterior that’s shockproof, freeze proof and waterproof. This camera has the capability to record video in 1080p at about 60 frames per second. This camera also boasts of an 8MP CMOS sensor that captures high-resolution photos even in the darkest of environments. With the 5X digital zoom, it is easy for you to zoom in to have more focus on the action or the subject of your video.
7. Sony Alpha a7RII – Expensive but well worth it
The modern-day Sony’s mirrorless camera systems have taken the photography world by storm, and this a7RII is perhaps the best of all for video bloggers and photographers alike. To begin with, this camera has a full-frame 42.2MP sensor, built-in image stabilization and excellent compatibility with lenses from other brands. This camera is an excellent choice for the video bloggers who demand everything high quality in a package that more compact than a DSLR.
8. Canon PowerShot SX260 – Budget friendly
Yet another appearance of the Canon brand, this camera is extremely budget friendly, so if you’re looking to spare a few bucks, then this could be the gadget for you. Regarding photography, this camera has 20X optical zoom, a 12.1 MP high-sensitivity CMOS sensor, and a 25mm wide-angle lens. And for the videos, you can film in 1080p full high-definition.
Video blogging is definitely a fun way to tell stories, get the creative juices flowing and even earn a living. Whether you want to make funny YouTube Videos or venture into video blogging as a career, there is definitely a camera out there for you. And if you have trouble making up your mind, it is easier to rent one. Taking several cameras for a spin before investing in one is the best way to be sure that you are getting value for your money.